|Duration:||2 Semesters (8 Months)|
|Credential Awarded:||Ontario College Certificate|
In the Art Fundamentals program you’ll gain a strong foundation in the fundamentals of traditional arts. You’ll study creative visual and communication skills with subjects that include drawing, illustration, design, colour theory, photography and art history. Most importantly, you’ll grow and improve as an artist, expanding your knowledge and appreciation of the arts with each day. Our strong, hands–on curriculum was created and continues to be taught by working artists. During the course of the program, you’ll benefit from general education subjects, which will provide you with the opportunity to explore different areas of the liberal arts.
Art Fundamentals is ideal for students who wish to develop their artistic skills to access further postsecondary education. It’s also well suited for professionals currently employed in media and communication industries who would like to improve or update their skills.
Upon graduation, you’ll be prepared to apply to other art programs. Advanced standings should be confirmed with the program and institution of your choice.
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent with:
- Grade 12 English: ENG4(C) or ENG4(U)
- OR Mature Student Status (age 19 or older) with the above prerequisite course(s), their equivalent(s) or appropriate Academic and Career Entrance (ACE) Certificate program credits (see Academic Upgrading).
- Pre-Admission English test - Cost $55 (view English Practice Test).
- Drawing test
- Applicants will be invited to attend an orientation session where they will complete the drawing test.
- To be considered for this program, applicants must meet program eligibility and minimum scores in the drawing test.
If you are applying to this program for Fall 2015:
- Applicants who have completed English Grade 12 C or U with an acceptable grade will be exempt from the $55 pre-admissions test.
- Applicants who are enrolled in a Grade 12 C or U course and who achieved an acceptable grade 11 mark are also exempt.
- Mature applicants who have not submitted transcripts will be advised of where and how to book the pre-admission test.
All applicants will still be required to attend a program orientation and complete a program-related assignment. Orientation dates and locations will be mailed.
- Although not required for admission, the following are recommended for your success in the program:
- Grade 12 Art
- Basic computer skills including office software
- Knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.
The visual art industry is diverse and is fueled by a blend of traditional, digital and multimedia skill bases. Animators, illustrators, graphic designers, digital media artists, art directors and studio artists all channel their skills in different ways. The Art Fundamentals certificate program provides you with the foundations of art, and upon completion, you will be prepared to succeed in further postsecondary education in a variety of communication arts and traditional arts-based diploma and degree programs.
Through transfer agreements and institution partnerships, graduates of this Seneca College program may be eligible for credit at the following post-secondary institution(s):
|York University||• Any relevant degree or major|
Important Academic Dates
Please take a few moments to view Important Academic Dates for your relevant term.
Please select the curriculum from the Academic Year in which you started (or will be starting) your studies. An Academic Year begins in September and ends in August of the following year.
Currently under review:
|2014/2015 Academic Year|
|Semester 1||Course Name||Hrs/Wk|
|AFD111||Figure Studio I||4|
|AFD131||Design I: Composition and Creativity||3|
|AFD141||Digital Design I||3|
|Semester 2||Course Name||Hrs/Wk|
|AFD211||Figure Studio II||4|
|AFD216||Applied Art History||3|
|AFD232||Design II: Manufacturing Meaning||3|
|AFD242||Digital Design II||3|
|XXXXXX||General Education Option||3|
Completion of the Arts Fundamentals program is not a guarantee of acceptance into any other School of Creative Arts and Animation diploma programs.
|2015/2016 Academic Year|
|Figure Studio I|
|Design I: Composition and Creativity|
|Figure Studio II|
|Applied Art History|
|Design II: Manufacturing Meaning|
|Digital Design II|
|General Education Option|
Note: Completion of the Arts Fundamentals program is not a guarantee of acceptance into any other School of Creative Arts and Animation diploma programs.
|For more information, please visit: http://sca.senecac.on.ca.|
|Domestic Admissions Advisor:||Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 22840
|International Admissions Advisor:||Thomas Hein
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 22380
|Registration & Records Advisor:|
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 33001
|Program Coordinator:||Phillip Woolf
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 33422
|Program Chair:||Mark Jones
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 33488