|Duration:||2 Semesters (8 Months)|
|Start Dates:||Fall, |
Start dates are subject to change
|Credential Awarded:||Ontario College Certificate|
Designed in co–operation with the floral industry, this program provides you with the knowledge, skills and professional expertise required for a successful career as a Retail Florist and Designer.
You’ll benefit from the integration of theory and practice in the floral laboratory, and you’ll gain on–the–job experience in related field work.
Throughout your studies, and in addition to the daily floral design practicum, you’ll gain on–the–job experience by working in related industry for approximately 200 hours.
As a student of Floral Design, you’ll learn to:
- Communicate effectively with customers, supervisors, peers and suppliers
- Demonstrate the ability to make suitable bouquets and floral arrangements for any occasion, in keeping with the customer’s request and established tradition, using available materials within cost constraints
- Offer appropriate information on the care and handling of various flowers and foliages, indoor plants and other items available for sale at an employer’s establishment
- Acquire knowledge of most front–office duties associated with an employer’s establishment, such as correct handling of wire service orders, correct selling techniques, handling of charge card orders and operation of a cash register
- Apply and understand public relations, advertising and merchandising techniques.
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent with:
- Grade 12 English: ENG4(C) or ENG4(U)
- OR Mature Student Status (age 19 or older) with the above prerequisite course(s), their equivalent(s) or appropriate Academic and Career Entrance (ACE) Certificate program credits (see Academic Upgrading).
Prepare for your career as a Retail Florist or Floral Designer. Our two-semester Floral Design certificate program equips you with the practical skills and business knowledge to succeed as a floral designer, sales consultant/advisor or management trainee in retail flower shops, department stores, garden centres, interior landscape businesses, wire service organizations, wholesale and distribution outlets, gift shops and floral event companies.
- American Institute of Floral Designers (AIFD)
- Canadian Academy of Floral Art (CAFA)
- World Flower Council (WFC)
- Florists’ Transworld Delivery (FTD)
- Teleflora Canada
Important Academic Dates
Please take a few moments to view Important Academic Dates for your relevant term.
Please select the curriculum from the Academic Year in which you started (or will be starting) your studies. An Academic Year begins in September and ends in August of the following year.
|2014/2015 Academic Year|
|Semester 1||Course Name||Hrs/Wk|
|RTF164||Principles of Design||2|
|RTF167||Customer Service - Floral||3|
|RTF169||Floral Design Lab I||6|
|RTF170||Field Work Experience (approximately 100 hours)|
|RTF172||Design Development I||4|
|Semester 2||Course Name||Hrs/Wk|
|FDP100||Floral Design Portfolio||3|
|FSH330||Evolution of Design||3|
|RTF269||Floral Design Lab II||6|
|RTF270||Field Work Experience II (approximately 100 hours)|
|RTF277||Design Development II||4|
|2015/2016 Academic Year|
|Principles of Design|
|Customer Service - Floral|
|Floral Design Lab I|
|Field Work Experience (approximately 100 hours)|
|Design Development I|
|Floral Design Portfolio|
|Evolution of Design|
|Floral Design Lab II|
|Field Work Experience II (appriximately 100 hours)|
|Design Development II|
|For more information, please visit our website at: www.senecacollege.ca/fashion.|
|Domestic Admissions Advisor:||Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 22840
|International Admissions Advisor:||Simona Cojanu
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 22758
|Registration & Records Advisor:|
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 22465
|Program Coordinator:||Marianne Suess
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 24090
|Program Chair:||Gitte Hansen
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 22160
Yvonne, a Floral Design graduate, talks about studying at Seneca and her program's mix of design elements and business fundamentals that have helped her succeed. Video
“This program is a wonderfully mastered compilation of the retail florist business. It is designed to provide the tools for employment and ownership of floral shops. Taught by professional designers, it illustrates great insight into all aspects of the floral industry and is superbly delivered.”
“Seneca’s instructors are well regarded in our industry and my peers recommend its graduates. I have hired graduates because I know the calibre of student the program produces and the work they have accomplished during their training.”
General Manager, Gardenia 5 Flower
Employer of Retail Florist Graduates
"Seneca's Floral Design Program prepared me for a career surrounded by flowers! After graduation I went on to be a junior designer in a downtown flower shop, then moved up to head designer managing three stores. I now own a flower shop, eco|stems in downtown Toronto, I am the chair of the Seneca Floral Design program Advisory Committee and will be inducted into the Canadian Academy of Floral Art in the fall. Seneca gave me the solid foundation I needed to achieve all of the above."
“Seneca's Floral Design program equipped me with the ideal balance of theory and hands–on practice. The instructors bring to the classroom enthusiasm for their craft and years of reputable experience in floral design as a commercial and art form. I soon realized the reputation this program has in the floral industry. It has provided me with opportunities that extend beyond the classroom.”
Highlights from Floral Design on flckr