Green Business Management
|Duration:||2 Semesters (8 Months)|
|Start Dates:||Fall, |
Start dates are subject to change
|Credential Awarded:||Ontario College Graduate Certificate|
Seneca’s Green Business Management graduate certificate program is the first of its kind in the GTA. The program provides you with an advantage in a very competitive business environment. Specifically, you’ll learn the project and change management skills needed to help an organization implement environmental sustainability into its bottom-line. Expect to learn how to develop and implement a sustainability action plan that will lead to greater value creation, improved productivity and enhanced corporate responsibility for the organization.
Upon successful completion of the program students will be prepared to write the CSA exam to become a certified Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Verifier.
In partnership with the WWF Living Planet @work students will be placed with Green Champions at corporate partners for 1 day a week in the fall semester and 2 days a week in the winter term to complete a series of sustainability projects including the Change The Equation sustainability report contest.
Program Learning Outcomes:
As a graduate, you will be prepared to reliably demonstrate the ability to:
- Design a corporate ecological vision and mission statement that demonstrates corporate social responsibility for a future or existing business and draws on the historical development of the green movement.
- Develop sustainable business practices for a future or existing business based on research of current green business examples and best practices.
- Develop criteria for a 'Green Business Report Card' for local businesses that includes recommendations and implementation strategies to reduce a company's ecological footprint.
- Utilize sustainable resource management theories and strategies to green the supply chain.
- Create, analyze, and implement a personal and corporate energy audit that demonstrates a reduction in operational costs and a greener personal and corporate image.
- Create green business ideas capitalizing on current green business opportunities discovered through environmental scans, research and analysis of local and global marketplace trends.
- Write a formal business plan, including a detailed marketing, operational and financial plan for a green business opportunity that uses a current business model (e.g. Triple Bottom Line).
- Construct a marketing plan for a local company that highlights its market and differential advantage through corporate social responsibility strategies.
- Justify decisions, plans and concepts using ethical principles, appeals to corporate social responsibility.
- Create recommendations for additional sustainable business practice strategies based on an evaluation of a multi-national corporation's green business practices.
- Identify and manage key data associated with environmental sustainability.
- A recognized degree or three year post secondary diploma from an accredited institution; OR
- Mature Student Status (age 19 or older) with 3 to 5 years of documented work experience in a related field. Relevant references must be provided.
- English proficiency at the college level.
The Importance of Learning Skills:
Student success in college requires well developed learning skills (such as being able to work independently, participate in a team, be well-organized, develop good work habits, and show initiative). These skills are as important as prior academic achievement. While it is expected that applicants would have developed these skills through previous education and life experiences, Seneca offers support to assist students with further development of these important skills. Seminars, workshops and tutoring are available at Seneca's Learning Centres.
Projected growth in the green sector is strong. Opportunities already exist in a number of private and public sector organizations. All jobs are becoming green, and once you graduate, you will be able to position yourself for a meaningful career in business, handling specific duties pertaining to your core duties and your organization’s environmental and social responsibility goals.
“I have been working with one of your students as part of Seneca's Green Business Management internship program. We found him to be well prepared and professional. His knowledge was very helpful to our understanding of what sustainability really means to our company. As promised, he helped in developing a submissionready GRI report, which gives us a clear understanding of our current and future sustainability positions. I feel that the internship was a very rewarding experience and have only positive commendations for your student and your program."
Plant Manager, Velcro Canada
“Ensuring a supply of qualified and competent people with strong business skills and knowledge linked to sound environmental principles will be critical to the “greening” of the economy…individuals with these skills and knowledge will be in high demand in an increasingly competitive business environment.”
Grant S. Trump
President and CEO, Eco Canada
“…a truly unique program and one of the very few offered by any Canadian post-secondary institution in this emerging field.”
Michael R. Moss,
PHD, CCEP Director,
Canadian Centre of Environmental Education
Royal Roads University
“Smart executives understand that innovative environmental and social strategies are good for their bottom lines. They realize they need help on how to minimize risks and capitalize on opportunities in the new economy. This practical program prepares new employees and workers in transition to help make that happen. Graduates will be credible and well equipped to lead their organizations to a culture of sustainability.”
Bob Willard, PHD
Author, The Sustainability Advantage,
The Next Sustainability Wave,
and the Sustainability Champion's Guidebook
|Semester 1||Course Name||Hrs/Wk|
|GBM700||Eco-Productivity in the Workplace I||3|
|GBM701||Development Theory and Sustainability Models||3|
|GBM702||Sustainable Development: Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow||3|
|GBM704||Corporate Social Responsibility and Business Ethics||3|
|GBM802||Green Marketing and Consumerism||3|
|GBM804||Sustainability Business Plan||3|
|Semester 2||Course Name||Hrs/Wk|
|GBM800||Eco-Productivity in the Workplace II||3|
|Domestic Admissions Advisor:||Margaret Lim
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 22806
|International Admissions Advisor:||Kevin Gumbs
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 22489
|Registration & Records Advisor:|
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 22462
|Program Coordinator:||Brett Wills
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 22662
|Program Chair:||Chris Dudley
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 22386