Visual Effects for Film and Television
|Duration:||2 Semesters (8 Months)|
|Start Dates:||Fall, Winter, |
Start dates are subject to change
|Credential Awarded:||Ontario College Graduate Certificate|
In the Visual Effects for Film and Television program, you'll be introduced to the various techniques used to create visual effects for film and television. Your studies will focus on the software tools used to create visual effects and issues involved in combining these effects with live action footage. Your final project will be a professional portfolio which may be used to apply for employment. Software taught in this program includes The Foundry's Nuke compositing program and Autodesk's Maya 3D package.
This program provides training in:
- Industry overview and production techniques
- Masking, keying–matte creation, motion tracking, image stabilization
- 3D visual effects such as particle systems, motion graphics and texture mapping
- Digital painting & retouching
- 2D/3D integration
- Color correction & film/video grain management
- 3D Modelling, Texturing, Rendering and Lighting
- 3D Tracking
Each class will consist of effects principles, hands-on demonstrations, exercises and projects. The student’s final demo reel is included in this program.
- A recognized degree or postsecondary diploma from an accredited institution in fine art, 2D/3D animation, photography, film/video, architecture or graphic design; OR
- Applicants with partial postsecondary education and relevant work experience may be considered. Relevant résumé and references must be provided.
- English proficiency at the postsecondary level.
- Portfolio that includes:
- 5 pieces of work in either 2D or 3D formats that relate to visual effects and/or motion graphics
- Cover letter
- Applicants will receive notification of how and when to submit a portfolio and cover letter.
- Applicants are ranked based on the strength of their portfolio and cover letter.
- Admission to this program is competitive. Only the top ranked applicants will be offered a seat in the program.
- Although not required for admission, the following are recommended for your success in the program:
- A background in one of more of the following: visual arts, classical animation, fine art, graphic design, or architecture/engineering or computer graphics
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop, After Effects, Premiere or any 3D program.
The entertainment industry needs qualified professionals to create visual effects. Earn a graduate certificate in Visual Effects for Film and Television in just two semesters and you could be in demand as a digital effects artist, digital compositor or lighting artist.
- ACM SIGGRAPH
- Visual Effects Society
- Toronto Animation Arts Festival International (TAAFI)
Important Academic Dates
Please take a few moments to view Important Academic Dates for your relevant term.
Please select the curriculum from the Academic Year in which you started (or will be starting) your studies. An Academic Year begins in September and ends in August of the following year.
|2014/2015 Academic Year|
|Semester 1||Course Name||Hrs/Wk|
|VFT701||2D and 3D Compositing||4|
|VFT711||Procedural Effects Animation||4|
|VFT712||Matchmoving for VFX||2|
|VFT714||Look Development for VFX||2|
|VFT715||Asset Development for VFX||3|
|VFT716||Introduction to Python Programming||2|
|Semester 2||Course Name||Hrs/Wk|
|VFT801||2D and 3D Compositing II||6|
|VFT810||Maya Dynamics II||3|
|VFT811||Procedural Effects Animation II||3|
|VFT814||Look Development for VFX II||3|
|VFT815||Asset Development for VFX II||4|
|2015/2016 Academic Year|
|2D and 3D Compositing|
|Procedural Effects Animation|
|Python for VFX|
|Motion Graphics II|
|2D and 3D Compositing II|
|Maya Dynamics II|
|Procedural Effects Animation II|
|Look Development II|
|Asset Development II|
Note: Some classes will be scheduled on evenings and weekends.
|For general inquiries and to arrange a tour, please call (416) 491-5050 Ext. 33850.
|Domestic Admissions Advisor:||Bridget De Vries
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 22807
|International Admissions Advisor:||Salaha Fatima
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 22081
|Registration & Records Advisor:|
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 33008
|Program Coordinator:||Joe Raasch
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 33857
|Program Chair:||Mark Jones
Telephone: (416) 491-5050 Ext. 33488